Portfolio Analyst - Aegon AM
- Collect, produce and organize quantitative information necessary for portfolio decision-making using a variety of software tools including Blackrock’s Aladdin system, Bloomberg, Excel and Business Objects.
- Develops and maintains information on credit quality and issuing patterns of specific short-term issuers and offerings.
- Monitors industry and market conditions and is aware of trends affecting the money market space.
- Some projects will be recurring in nature and others will be designed to address specific circumstances that have arisen in the markets or in specific portfolios.
- Recurring projects will likely constitute a part of the responsibilities that analysts will be expected to complete without direction after initial training.
- Assist portfolio managers, typically having been given limited direction, in modeling and analysis of historical, current and potential asset-liability risks such as duration, convexity, credit, reinvestment and liquidity within portfolios.
- Provide analytical support to the short-term research and investment function, as well as assisting in the day-to-day operations of the securities lending program.
- Other areas where analytical support will be required include projects such as liability benchmark construction, performance attribution, evaluation of capital and earnings management issues, and stress-testing of portfolios.
Qualifications for Intermediate level:
- Minimum of three years investment experience.
- BA preferably in finance, economics, mathematics, actuarial science or computer science, or MBA.
- Financial or mathematical modeling and/or risk analysis experience.
- Very strong quantitative skills and highly detailed oriented.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong understanding of investments and financial concepts.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Business Objects and Access. Some knowledge of programming languages (VBA).
- Advanced knowledge of bond analytics and portfolio management software.
- Strong understanding of investment accounting including differences between STAT, IFRS and Tax.
- Developed knowledge of the asset classes the firm invests in and the risks associated with those assets.
- Work effectively on teams or in project groups that involve other functional areas outside the PM group.
- Developed working relationships in a range of functional areas in AAM and Transamerica.
Qualifications for Entry level:
- Entry level analyst position requiring a BA (preferably in finance, economics, mathematics, actuarial science or computer science)
- Highly detail oriented.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong quantitative skills.
- Proficient with excel.
- Solid business understanding of investments and financial concepts.
- Working towards CFA designation is preferred.
- Develop creative solutions to analytical problems using spreadsheets and are beginning to use VBA and databases as tools to automate complex workflow processes or complete large projects.
Job and compensation levels depend upon an applicant’s qualifications including the extent of candidate’s relevant experience and other job-related factors and will be determined by hiring supervisors/managers and HR.
At Aegon Asset Management, we are committed to fostering a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We are more than a global Asset Management firm – we are a people business, and we recognize that delivering excellent client outcomes comes from embracing diverse perspectives. We value diversity in the full range of human uniqueness without limitation including race, gender, ability, language, culture, beliefs, age, origin, background, perspectives and experiences.
We are open to considering flexible working practices. Please talk to us about what this means for you.