Path:

Aegon’s Green Goal

August 11, 2011

Aegon has established a target to reduce the CO2 emissions of its buildings by 10% over four years, from 2009 to 2012.

The goal is part of Aegon’s continuing efforts to manage all its assets – including those that affect the environment – in a responsible way.

In the long run, the changes being implementing to meet the CO2 target will save the company money as well as CO2. Setting an objective also represents the company’s desire to meet the growing expectations of its stakeholders, particularly customers and employees.

While the new target only concerns the energy use of Aegon’s US, UK and Dutch buildings – and more specifically gas and electricity – it relates to the lion’s share of the company’s energy consumption.

Aegon’s buildings represent 86% of the company’s measured CO2 emissions. Most of the remaining 14% derives from air travel, and while air travel is not included in the target, efforts to control it are also underway.

Local Contributions to the Global Target

While the target is company-wide, it will have an impact on many different local projects and efforts.

Aegon’s headquarters in The Hague, for example, has been substantially renovated with many energy-saving features incorporated into the project.

A system of “free cooling,” which replaces air conditioning and brings cooler air in from outside the building to lower inside temperatures, has been used for various rooms and will be extended to more spaces. This system can be used for all sorts of offices, but is particularly valuable for computer rooms, which heat up rapidly and must be kept at a constant temperature.

Other examples being used in The Hague include LED lights and motion sensors.

Some of the energy-saving features that have been adopted across the world are described in the chart below.

Applying Pressure 

In addition to the company’s efforts to control its own CO2 emissions, Aegon is using its position to apply pressure to other organizations.

For several years, the company has been a signatory to the Carbon Disclosure Project.

The company has also signed letters calling for action at the 2009 Summit on Climate Change in Copenhagen and at the 2010 Climate Change Conference in Cancun.

All these efforts – local and international, internal and external – demonstrate that the company is taking a responsible approach as it manages one of its most valuable assets.

Local Green Initiatives

Aegon’s country units are pursuing local initiatives to reduce emissions, lessen the impact of our operations on the environment and invest in sustainable forms of energy. Examples of these initiatives include:

United States
  • In St. Petersburg, Florida, improvements to the building management system resulted in a decrease in energy consumption of almost 7% in 2010, saving USD 70,000.
  • In Baltimore, a more efficient air conditioning system cut energy consumption during the summer by 6%, despite higher-than-usual temperatures.
  • In Los Angeles, new light fixtures were fitted by the building’s owners, resulting in cost savings of approximately USD 65,000 a year.
United Kingdom
  • Aegon UK has been certified ISO14001 compliant with respect to its property activities in the United Kingdom.
The Netherlands
  • In The Hague, all office furniture has been certified cradle-to-cradle, and can be recycled for other purposes.
  • Aegon is certified ISO14001 compliant with respect to its property activities in the Netherlands.
  • A project with local government in The Hague aims to reduce car use, particularly during peak travel times.
Global
  • More than 1,750 servers have been "virtualized" by using new technology and reducing the number of active servers, saving a total of 12.3 million KwH.
  • Aegon has developed a "Guide to Eco-Driving". The guide includes useful tips to cut down on fuel consumption and CO2 emissions, as well as estimates of drivers' potential savings.