Aegon to repurchase shares to neutralize stock dividend
Aegon announces that it will repurchase approximately 19 million common shares to neutralize the dilutive effect of the 2013 interim dividend paid in shares.[node:field_featured_media:entity:field_media_image]
Approximately 55% of shareholders have elected to receive the cash dividend. The remaining 45% have opted for stock dividend. As a result, 19,047,358 new common shares were issued on September 13, 2013.
Aegon has committed itself irrevocably to the repurchase of these common shares by engaging a third party to execute the transactions on its behalf, which are expected to be completed before October 16, 2013. Under the agreement, Aegon will repurchase shares at the daily volume-weighted average price. Aegon will provide a weekly update regarding the transactions on its website www.aegon.com/sharebuyback.
At the next Annual General Meeting on May 21, 2014, Aegon will seek approval from its shareholders to cancel all common shares repurchased as part of this program.