Former CEO Alex Wynaendts outlines Aegon's efforts to help customers and assist in the fight against the coronavirus.
The coronavirus crisis has changed the world as we know it. During this difficult time, we are working around the clock to help our customers, colleagues and communities adapt to unprecedented challenges. While our purpose remains the same – to help our customers achieve a lifetime of financial security – we are also acutely aware that many people have had their lives and livelihoods disrupted and are increasingly vulnerable.
These are the moments that matter, the times when we can use our resources to help those who have been affected. We are working to relieve financial stress on our customers, support the community organizations that have become a lifeline for many, and lay the groundwork for a more secure world.
We are grateful to be able to lend support around the world, with a focus on immediate impact. Some of our efforts include:
- For our customers, we are offering information and guidance as well as financial relief for those facing overwhelming challenges.
- Transamerica is helping its retirement plan customers access their savings through coronavirus-related distributions and loans and fee waivers, as part of the CARES Act
- In the Netherlands we are helping customers who are having trouble paying their mortgages or rent, and postponing insurance premiums as needed.
- In the UK, we are supporting local charities on the frontline of the crisis, such as food banks and aid to the vulnerable elderly.
- In the Netherlands, we are supplying laptops for students who can’t afford them, and deploying our colleagues to help family and friends understand financial basics and work through setbacks.
- In Asia, we are supporting hospitals and relief and development organizations, supplying personal protective equipment and promoting health education.
- Across Europe, we are donating medical supplies and food to the elderly and helping supply protective gear to healthcare workers.
- In the US, we are providing protective gear to frontline healthcare workers.
We are also looking ahead to see how we can use this crisis to understand how to better serve our customers, colleagues and the world community in the future.
We have all been affected by this crisis, some more acutely than others. For 175 years, Aegon has offered innovative and effective savings and protection solutions. We are grateful to have the opportunity to help guide and protect our colleagues, customers and communities during this unprecedented time.
As I work from home, I am heartened by the signs of spring emerging outside my window. We will get through this together.
Thank you to all of you – our colleagues, customers and communities, including our heroic healthcare and other frontline workers – for everything you do. We are honored to be your partner during this very difficult time.
Former CEO Aegon N.V.