The Aegon Retirement Readiness Survey is conducted annually in collaboration with nonprofits Transamerica Center for Retirement Studies® in the United States and Instituto de Longevidade Mongeral Aegon in Brazil.
The survey covers a wide range of issues, including attitudes and readiness for retirement, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and lifelong learning to improve long-term resilience. We currently survey in Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Japan, the Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States. The survey is completed in local languages via online panels, in January or February each year.
Whom we survey
The Aegon Retirement Readiness Index at the heart of the survey
The Aegon Retirement Readiness Index (ARRI) assesses and quantifies levels of retirement awareness and savings behavior using a score on a scale of 0-10. A high index score is considered to be between 8 and 10, a medium score between 6 and 7.9 out of 10, and, a low score being less than 6. The Index is built on six indicators:
- Personal responsibility for income in retirement
- Level of awareness of need to plan financially for retirement
- Financial capability / understanding of financial matters regarding plans for retirement
- Retirement planning – level of development of plans
- Financial preparedness for retirement
- Income replacement – level of projected income replacement