Aegon supports local causes that align with our purpose and ambitions, including by way of investments that seek to serve and strengthen the communities in which we operate.
Our goals are to:
- Serve and strengthen the communities where we do business and create a better quality of life for beneficiaries
- Engage and involve employees
- Promote our purpose and ESG approach to all stakeholders
Aegon supported approximately 469 charities and good causes in 2021. Our donations amounted to EUR 9.4 million, a 1.3% increase compared with 2020. Much of this investment was driven by our Charitable Donations Standards, which require country units to allocate at least 50% of their annual donations to causes that directly support financial security and personal wellbeing.
The Aegon community came together in 2021 to support relief efforts amid the unprecedented surge of COVID-19 cases across India and in recognition of the many Aegon employees who live and work in the country. Donations totaling EUR 300,000 were made to worthwhile causes. The Aegon Transamerica Foundation contributed to Direct Relief, an international humanitarian aid organization that provides oxygen concentrators, medication, personal protection equipment, and financial resources to frontline healthcare providers in India.
A further contribution was made on behalf of Aegon to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), which is working tirelessly to tackle the impact of the pandemic on India’s children and their families, and boost access to critical oxygen therapy and accurate testing. With these swift and coordinated actions, we helped deliver essential relief and support that saved lives.
Aegon employees recorded 6,806 volunteer hours in 2021 (equivalent to EUR 0.3 million, based on volunteers’ average salaries) despite ongoing constraints due to the pandemic. Many initiatives took place online, and our ‘Volunteer Friday’ program in the Netherlands was held virtually for the first time.
To further underline our purpose, we have selected two overarching themes for our donations, which is reflected in the Charitable Donations Standards:
- Under the theme of financial security and education, we support charities that promote financial education and financial literacy such as teaching children about finance and helping adults understand their finances. We also support programs that help older people with their quest for gainful employment, be it starting their own business or retraining.
- To promote well-being and longevity, Aegon supports charities that encourage physical fitness and mental vitality. We also help organizations in the prevention and research of old-age diseases such as Alzheimer's, heart disease and cancer.
Aegon's Charitable Donations Standards sets out the guidelines for our support to charities, good causes and other non-profit organizations.